Now that I have been trying to eat seasonally and use more local foods, I have been finding that I am really excited about when the seasons change and new foods are available. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the copious amounts of squash, eggplant, tomatoes, and okra from this summer, I was overjoyed to see those winter squash and fall apples begin to appear. (Although I do wish tomatoes could be a year round fruit...I would eat them with almost everything.)
My excitement for the fall/winter produce, along with my desire to be productive (but not do actual work) on Friday, turned into a crazy night of cooking. In one evening, I roasted pumpkin to make homemade pumpkin puree (instead of using the canned stuff), roasted the pumpkin seeds (cause those are awesome), made pumpkin bread with chocolate chips (always a pleaser), butternut squash bisque (which was super delicious), and the winner of the evening - pumpkin cinnamon rolls with ginger, cream cheese glaze (seriously decadent).
Once again, I found myself getting lost in the movements of cooking - reading recipes, measuring, reading the recipe again because I can't keep the measurements in my head, stirring, kneading, licking spoons, chopping pumpkins, cleaning gooey seeds, reading recipes a third time just to make sure I did everything correctly. Even when I am making something new that could turn out to be terrible, I feel very free in the kitchen to try new things, perhaps add in my own twist to the recipe, and just be a part of the process.
The only other time I really find myself this free is when dancing, and sometimes when running, biking, or swimming. It makes me wonder what it is that is so freeing for me. Is it being physical and getting to move after a long day of sitting in front of a computer? Is it being creative, or better yet, being involved in the act of creation that I see as a collaboration with my God? Is it that I feel more connected to nature and the foods that have been given to sustain us...or the people who have worked hard to make that food possible? I guess it is all of the above, as well as some mystery that I cannot articulate. No matter what it is, I am grateful for this blessing of being able to cook and eat in the way that I am learning to do. I know that not everyone has the blessing of health(ish), bountiful food, nor the blessing of engaging in an activity they enjoy. As Anne Lamott would say, "thank you, thank you, thank you".
For your own blessing and enjoyment, here are the various goodies and recipes:
The cinnamon rolls...these were supposed to be vegan, but Florence does not have any vegan cream cheese, so the glaze is not vegan (but still awesome - really...I mean melt in your mouth awesome).
The recipe for these can be found at: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/10/vegan-pumpkin-pecan-cinnamon-rolls.html#.TpYv105uTVc.facebook
Here is a picture of the pumpkin puree:
This is really easy. Just cut the pumpkin, scoop out seeds, and roast a pumpkin at around 375-400 degrees for about 40 minutes until the flesh is so soft you can scoop it with a spoon. Then puree the amount that you need to use for the recipe. I used a big pumpkin because the pie pumpkins are ridiculously hard to cut into and yield less pumpkin to use in dishes. I froze half of it to use throughout the season.
Butternut bisque...I personally thought this was fantastic soup, just the right taste and texture. William, however did not like it at all. So half of this is frozen as well. I am not sure how well it freezes, but I will let you know in a few weeks.
The recipe is:
* Saute 1 medium onion (chopped) and 1 cup carrots (chopped) in 2 tablespoons butter (I used olive oil) until tender. (I also used a green apple instead of carrots, because I forgot to get those from the store).
* Add 3 cups of veggie broth, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
* Add 2 cups cooked winter squash (I used butter nut, but you can use acorn or other kinds), 1/2 cup plan yogurt, 1 cup evaporated milk (you can also use yogurt or creamer), and 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Stir together, then pour into either food processor or blender.
*Season to taste with salt, garlic, pepper, etc. (sage might be good here too) - I forgot to season it at first and it was still really yummy.
*Serve with some yummy bread.
The pumpkin seeds (roasted at 350 with a little olive oil and Tony's).
Finally, the pumpkin bread (not pictured because we were bringing it to a party and I forgot to take a picture before I gave it away). The recipe however can be found at: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pumpkin_bread/
I substituted chocolate chips for the walnuts, but you can do whatever you like most.
Here's to fall! Enjoy that winter squash! More goodies to come soon!
My excitement for the fall/winter produce, along with my desire to be productive (but not do actual work) on Friday, turned into a crazy night of cooking. In one evening, I roasted pumpkin to make homemade pumpkin puree (instead of using the canned stuff), roasted the pumpkin seeds (cause those are awesome), made pumpkin bread with chocolate chips (always a pleaser), butternut squash bisque (which was super delicious), and the winner of the evening - pumpkin cinnamon rolls with ginger, cream cheese glaze (seriously decadent).
Once again, I found myself getting lost in the movements of cooking - reading recipes, measuring, reading the recipe again because I can't keep the measurements in my head, stirring, kneading, licking spoons, chopping pumpkins, cleaning gooey seeds, reading recipes a third time just to make sure I did everything correctly. Even when I am making something new that could turn out to be terrible, I feel very free in the kitchen to try new things, perhaps add in my own twist to the recipe, and just be a part of the process.
The only other time I really find myself this free is when dancing, and sometimes when running, biking, or swimming. It makes me wonder what it is that is so freeing for me. Is it being physical and getting to move after a long day of sitting in front of a computer? Is it being creative, or better yet, being involved in the act of creation that I see as a collaboration with my God? Is it that I feel more connected to nature and the foods that have been given to sustain us...or the people who have worked hard to make that food possible? I guess it is all of the above, as well as some mystery that I cannot articulate. No matter what it is, I am grateful for this blessing of being able to cook and eat in the way that I am learning to do. I know that not everyone has the blessing of health(ish), bountiful food, nor the blessing of engaging in an activity they enjoy. As Anne Lamott would say, "thank you, thank you, thank you".
For your own blessing and enjoyment, here are the various goodies and recipes:
The cinnamon rolls...these were supposed to be vegan, but Florence does not have any vegan cream cheese, so the glaze is not vegan (but still awesome - really...I mean melt in your mouth awesome).
The recipe for these can be found at: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/10/vegan-pumpkin-pecan-cinnamon-rolls.html#.TpYv105uTVc.facebook
Here is a picture of the pumpkin puree:
This is really easy. Just cut the pumpkin, scoop out seeds, and roast a pumpkin at around 375-400 degrees for about 40 minutes until the flesh is so soft you can scoop it with a spoon. Then puree the amount that you need to use for the recipe. I used a big pumpkin because the pie pumpkins are ridiculously hard to cut into and yield less pumpkin to use in dishes. I froze half of it to use throughout the season.
Butternut bisque...I personally thought this was fantastic soup, just the right taste and texture. William, however did not like it at all. So half of this is frozen as well. I am not sure how well it freezes, but I will let you know in a few weeks.
The recipe is:
* Saute 1 medium onion (chopped) and 1 cup carrots (chopped) in 2 tablespoons butter (I used olive oil) until tender. (I also used a green apple instead of carrots, because I forgot to get those from the store).
* Add 3 cups of veggie broth, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
* Add 2 cups cooked winter squash (I used butter nut, but you can use acorn or other kinds), 1/2 cup plan yogurt, 1 cup evaporated milk (you can also use yogurt or creamer), and 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Stir together, then pour into either food processor or blender.
*Season to taste with salt, garlic, pepper, etc. (sage might be good here too) - I forgot to season it at first and it was still really yummy.
*Serve with some yummy bread.
The pumpkin seeds (roasted at 350 with a little olive oil and Tony's).
Finally, the pumpkin bread (not pictured because we were bringing it to a party and I forgot to take a picture before I gave it away). The recipe however can be found at: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pumpkin_bread/
I substituted chocolate chips for the walnuts, but you can do whatever you like most.
Here's to fall! Enjoy that winter squash! More goodies to come soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment