Sunday, October 16, 2011

Plan C

I have a tendency to not read recipes until I am about to start them...most of the time it works out okay, but sometimes it doesn't. At these times, I either realize that I don't have the ingredients I need or that the preparation takes much longer than I actually have time for.

This morning, I had planned to make yummy, cinnamon rolls (see previous post). However, I did not get the pastry flour needed for the rolls, and I did not realize that I needed to prep the dough several hours before. So the cinnamon rolls are happening at another date.

I still wanted to bake a little bit today, so my plan changed to making pumpkin bread. I like to use actual pumpkin puree and not the canned stuff, so I did remember to pick up pumpkins at the market the other day. Usually I use one big pumpkin, but this time I tried to get a few pie pumpkins just to try something different. But when I tried to cut into the pie pumpkins, I couldn't do it.  (I'll figure that part out later, but if y'all have tips, let me know.)

So plan C was to make cranberry bread that I found in my Real Simple magazine. It turned out pretty well for a plan C (and even with me substituting orange juice for the orange zest).

The recipe:
1 cup hazelnuts (I used almonds)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk (I used half and half because we only have skim milk)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest (I used orange juice)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (I had some frozen ones from last fall; good thing they freeze well)

The bread turned out pretty well, but could have used a little bit more orange flavor (with either zest or juice).

And the lesson learned is twofold: First, preparation is probably a good thing... (or at least being aware of what I want to get done and if I can realistically do it)! Second, being flexible is always good too. Sometimes you learn the most from just giving something a try and being okay if the result is not perfection. (Or I should just be okay with lack of perfection in general!).

Anyway...here is the bread!





No comments:

Post a Comment