In academia, having two titles for articles or other writings is pretty common. I have even heard somewhere that the likelihood of getting published is increased if you have a colon in your title. So I have learned to be drawn to books and such that have two titles. I was actually introduced to Brother Juniper's Bread Book: Slow Rise as Method and Metaphor by my husband who was giving it as a gift to a friend around the time we got married. I liked the title, but at that point in my life and my dissertation, I did not have the energy or time to read it.
When I began to think about baking seriously, I started a list in my head of things that I need to know how to bake: croissants, bagels, muffins, cookies, scones, and of course, yummy bread. Not knowing where to start, I picked up Will's copy of this small book on bread.
What is most interesting about the book is not the recipes (I am guessing you could find similar recipes in other books or websites); it is the way the author relates the baking of bread to the ups and downs of life, and how patience and hard work can bring about simple beauties which make life worthwhile.
As Rienhart says, "Slow rise has taught me and is still teaching me a way to live, a way to be, and a way to see. It is a window into an understanding of the things that go on around me, a way to make sense of the seemingly senseless scenarios we are exposed to throughout life. Yes, slow rise is a metaphor but you might also say that is is a frame of reference, a context in which things find their proper place."
In these past few months, as I have been anxiously trying to find a job, I have found this metaphor particularly calming. It helps me remember that, while I need to do what I can, there is also merit in having patience, in waiting and trusting that things will work out and perhaps be even better than I ever dreamed.
When I began to think about baking seriously, I started a list in my head of things that I need to know how to bake: croissants, bagels, muffins, cookies, scones, and of course, yummy bread. Not knowing where to start, I picked up Will's copy of this small book on bread.
What is most interesting about the book is not the recipes (I am guessing you could find similar recipes in other books or websites); it is the way the author relates the baking of bread to the ups and downs of life, and how patience and hard work can bring about simple beauties which make life worthwhile.
As Rienhart says, "Slow rise has taught me and is still teaching me a way to live, a way to be, and a way to see. It is a window into an understanding of the things that go on around me, a way to make sense of the seemingly senseless scenarios we are exposed to throughout life. Yes, slow rise is a metaphor but you might also say that is is a frame of reference, a context in which things find their proper place."
In these past few months, as I have been anxiously trying to find a job, I have found this metaphor particularly calming. It helps me remember that, while I need to do what I can, there is also merit in having patience, in waiting and trusting that things will work out and perhaps be even better than I ever dreamed.
No comments:
Post a Comment