Friday, August 5, 2011

I have always hated the question, "So what are you going to do after graduation?", that everyone asks, sometimes even when you still have years until you graduate. My response would always be something simple. During undergrad, I would say that I wanted to work with children (but not be more specific); in grad school, I would just say teach college. I would give the easy answer that would not let people know that I really wanted to join the peace corps or dance for Alvin Ailey or start a cultural arts center. I also secretly thought to myself that the perfect opportunity would just fall in my lap and everything would be fantastic. Often times, it actually has. All of my jobs and school and moves thus far, have worked out and been great places for me.

However, as my tenure at graduate school came to an end, and my husband and I prepared for our move to small-town South Carolina, my job possibilities looked a little bleaker. Still tired from the long hours of grad school and not wanting to have a job where I sit in front of a computer all day, I decided that my newest career goal is baking.

Other than the having to get up at ridiculously early hours (which I am not sure that I can do), I have these crazy ideas of greeting the locals with a cup of tea and fresh baked muffins, asking about their days. Later in the day, I would make them sandwiches (with local produce of course) on freshly baked breads and maybe talk them into a warm cookie or piece of pie. I am sure there are other things that would be difficult about owning a bakery, but right now it excites me.

I decided that if I really do want to be a baker, then I can't wait for the opportunity to fall in my lap. This is something I have to work toward. Plus, I am guessing that you have to be a good baker to have a successful business, and other than an amazing apple pie, I don't do a lot of baking right now. Thus, in true Julie and Julia style, I am teaching myself to bake one yummy treat at a time.

So...welcome to the beginnings of me becoming a baker...let's see what happens, or rather what rises!











No comments:

Post a Comment