Fair warning...this post involves labor and delivery...in other words loads of fun...
The week between when we were supposed to have our little one and when she actually came was difficult emotionally. I know that everyone was excited that she had flipped and that I wouldn't have to have surgery, but it was a bit of an emotional blow. We both felt like we had been waiting for years for this little one with all of the trouble trying to get pregnant in the first place, losing the first baby, having trouble a second time around, and then waiting the 40 weeks to actually meet her.
At first we both kind of wandered around, half getting things done, not being able to focus. After a few days of that, we both decided that we were just going to act as if we weren't waiting (as best we could). I took really long walks everyday, but other than that ran errands, worked a little, and tried to resume normal life.
We bought tickets to go to a U of M basketball game on Saturday night, and suddenly as I was making dinner before the game, my water broke...soaking my jeans and leaving a big puddle on the floor. We left soon after for the hospital, both excited and nervous for the main event.
But then, our little troublemaker made some more trouble. According to the test the nurses administered (a little strip of paper that tells you if the fluid was amniotic fluid or not), my water had not actually broken. We are still a little unclear on exactly what did happen, but oh well. William and I were both almost in tears thinking they were going to send us home to wait more.
Instead, my doctor decided that we would be admitted and start induction in the morning. I did end up having contractions throughout the evening, but it all really started in the morning. Then doctor even came in and completely broke my water (a crazy uncomfortable experience during the actual procedure and then afterwards when you are constantly dripping/gushing fluid). I had thought that I wanted to be the person who walked around during labor, but all of that liquid kept me in bed. (We ended up watching HGTV through the majority of the contractions....the little luxuries in life.)
Then, another twist... after laboring for about 12 hours, I had still not dilated even though my contractions were 1 to 2 minutes apart and getting extremely intense. So, my doctor decided to do a c-section. I thought I would be okay with that, as it was the original plan anyway, but as they wheeled me into the room and made Will sit outside while they prepared everything, I became incredibly overwhlemed. They ended up giving me extra sedatives so that I was in that weird state of consciousness where I could hear some things happen, but not really make them out and not respond.
A few hours later I came too with William by my side (thank God for him), telling me all about our beautiful daughter.
I will spare everyone the recovery details. Basically, it included pain meds, lots of people checking in, learning to breastfeed in a stupor, being walked to the bathroom, and trying to figure out how to sleep in an uncomfortable bed.
We brough our babe home on Wednesday and are learning each day how to make it on little sleep (with my rollercoaster of hormones) and trying to trust ourselves with parenting decisions. Oh my goodness, this is this hardest thing ever...and yet her little sleeping face makes it all worth it.
So...now we are three...
And a note...basically, I am not going to post here for a while, except maybe a picture or two (and baking is totally out of the question for now...I eat, feed, sometimes shower, change diapers, cuddle, and occassionally sleep...this is my plan for the next 8 weeks and probably longer). Thanks to everyone for the support through the pregnancy and our first week. Keep it coming please!!
The week between when we were supposed to have our little one and when she actually came was difficult emotionally. I know that everyone was excited that she had flipped and that I wouldn't have to have surgery, but it was a bit of an emotional blow. We both felt like we had been waiting for years for this little one with all of the trouble trying to get pregnant in the first place, losing the first baby, having trouble a second time around, and then waiting the 40 weeks to actually meet her.
At first we both kind of wandered around, half getting things done, not being able to focus. After a few days of that, we both decided that we were just going to act as if we weren't waiting (as best we could). I took really long walks everyday, but other than that ran errands, worked a little, and tried to resume normal life.
We bought tickets to go to a U of M basketball game on Saturday night, and suddenly as I was making dinner before the game, my water broke...soaking my jeans and leaving a big puddle on the floor. We left soon after for the hospital, both excited and nervous for the main event.
But then, our little troublemaker made some more trouble. According to the test the nurses administered (a little strip of paper that tells you if the fluid was amniotic fluid or not), my water had not actually broken. We are still a little unclear on exactly what did happen, but oh well. William and I were both almost in tears thinking they were going to send us home to wait more.
Instead, my doctor decided that we would be admitted and start induction in the morning. I did end up having contractions throughout the evening, but it all really started in the morning. Then doctor even came in and completely broke my water (a crazy uncomfortable experience during the actual procedure and then afterwards when you are constantly dripping/gushing fluid). I had thought that I wanted to be the person who walked around during labor, but all of that liquid kept me in bed. (We ended up watching HGTV through the majority of the contractions....the little luxuries in life.)
Then, another twist... after laboring for about 12 hours, I had still not dilated even though my contractions were 1 to 2 minutes apart and getting extremely intense. So, my doctor decided to do a c-section. I thought I would be okay with that, as it was the original plan anyway, but as they wheeled me into the room and made Will sit outside while they prepared everything, I became incredibly overwhlemed. They ended up giving me extra sedatives so that I was in that weird state of consciousness where I could hear some things happen, but not really make them out and not respond.
A few hours later I came too with William by my side (thank God for him), telling me all about our beautiful daughter.
I will spare everyone the recovery details. Basically, it included pain meds, lots of people checking in, learning to breastfeed in a stupor, being walked to the bathroom, and trying to figure out how to sleep in an uncomfortable bed.
We brough our babe home on Wednesday and are learning each day how to make it on little sleep (with my rollercoaster of hormones) and trying to trust ourselves with parenting decisions. Oh my goodness, this is this hardest thing ever...and yet her little sleeping face makes it all worth it.
So...now we are three...
And a note...basically, I am not going to post here for a while, except maybe a picture or two (and baking is totally out of the question for now...I eat, feed, sometimes shower, change diapers, cuddle, and occassionally sleep...this is my plan for the next 8 weeks and probably longer). Thanks to everyone for the support through the pregnancy and our first week. Keep it coming please!!
No comments:
Post a Comment