Sunday, November 10, 2013

The goodness of relationship

As an extrovert, I crave human interaction. Even after an exhausting week and a half of work, travel, sickness, and pregnancy in general, I want to be around people. I want to hear what is going on with them, have conversations (about both light and heavy subjects), share meals and laughter, and be reminded that I am not alone in this world, that we are supposed to be in relationship with one another.

Last weekend our little predator was showered with gifts for her arrival. In the midst of sea of pink and baby animals (I am seriously obsessed right now with baby animals), I was overcome by the relationships surrounding me...my mother and sisters who have known me and cared for me my whole life....my step-mother and church family who sheltered me in high school and gave me a place to flourish....my college dance professor and best college friends who have introduced me to new worlds and ways of thinking and being. I am so blessed and so happy to know that our little girl will have a slew of amazing women to look up to. I pray to that she will act as one of those amazing women, making her place in the world and being there for other women in her life.




This weekend, I was again reminded of the importance of relationship, although this time it is the relationship with my husband. After spending a week taking care of sick me, he has developed my cold. Despite this cold, he still got up this morning, drove to the store, and picked up a few ingredients to make a fun Sunday breakfast. I would love to say that my first response was gratitude for his thoughtfulness. But, it wasn't. It was grumpiness because his breakfast choice wasn't the healthiest (chocolate chip scones with regular white flour). I know at these times that I am projecting my own guilt onto him - I feel fat or unhealthy for whatever reason - and that I am finding fault - thinking he should eat more fruits and whole grains - in him, rather than just letting go of the guilt and need for perfection. [Editorial note by Will: Sunday morning breakfast should not be healthy. My chocolate-chip scone was delicious. For the record, I ate just one; Vicki ate two.]

But slowly, as we baked the scones together, coughing intermittently, and sat down to eat them and watch CBS Sunday Morning... I remembered. I remembered that I love him and am so grateful for him. [Damn straight!] I remembered that we balance each other out and that I have grown so much from being in relationship with him. I remembered that he makes me laugh. I remembered that I am excited to explore this parenting gig with him, knowing that when one of us can't do it, the other will step in.

Here's the recipe, from the King Author Flour website:

Here's your basic "start here" scone recipe. While this simple vanilla scone is delicious as is, it's also the perfect vehicle for your favorite add-ins; we happen to love dried cranberries and walnuts. Though chocolate chips are tempting, too!

       Dough

  • 2 3/4 cups King Author Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup cold butter
  • 1 cup to 2 cups chopped dried fruit, chocolate or other flavored chips, nuts, or a combination, optional
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or the flavoring of your choice
  • 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup half and half or mil

    Directions

    1) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.

    2) Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated.

    3) Stir in the fruit, chips, and/or nuts, if you're using them.

    4) In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla or other flavor, and half and half or milk.

    5) Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and holds together.

    6) Line a baking sheet with parchment; if you don't have parchment, just use it without greasing it. Sprinkle a bit of flour atop the parchment or pan.

    7) Scrape the dough onto the floured parchment or pan, and divide it in half. Round each half into a 5" circle (if you haven't incorporated any add-ins); or a 6" circle (if you've added fruit, nuts, etc.). The circles should be about 3/4" thick.

    8) Brush each circle with milk, and sprinkle with coarse white sparkling sugar or cinnamon sugar, if desired.

    9) Using a knife or bench knife that you've run under cold water, slice each circle into 6 wedges.

    10) Carefully pull the wedges away from the center to separate them just a bit; there should be about 1/2" space between them, at their outer edges.

    11) For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered. While the scones are chilling, preheat the oven to 425°F.

    12) Bake the scones for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they're golden brown. When you pull one away from the others, it should look baked all the way through; the edge shouldn't look wet or unbaked.

So, at the end of the day I am grateful for scones and relationships.



No comments:

Post a Comment