After about six months of not baking, I have been baking up a storm. (okay maybe not that much, but when you go from nothing to something it feels like a lot).
I have always enjoyed baking even though I would describe myself as just an occasional baker, but it was not until I started baking again this month that I discovered the healing nature of pouring, sifiting, mixing, creating something beatiful out of a mess. I didn't realize that I needed this type of creative healing, but I did.
In November, I had a miscarriage. After 11 weeks of pregnancy, we lost our little one. It was a devastating loss and still brings tears to my eyes. I spent much of November through February struggling through the grief process. Through the support of my wonderful husband, family, friends, (and of course my therapist), I can say that I have been able to start moving forward. A part of that process is getting back to the things that I love to do and finding small ways to participate in creating something (even if it is a simple loaf of bread).
So...here are some of the healing things I have baked in this month of healing as both the world and I spring back to life...
1. Banana bread...we have had bananas in the freezer for the longest time, so I finally put them to use with my mother's yummy recipe and my fancy new pan from Williams-Sonoma!
Banana Bread:
After all of this, I have found that once again I am grateful for the simple act of baking, a small act that helps me feel more connected to others and to life.
I have always enjoyed baking even though I would describe myself as just an occasional baker, but it was not until I started baking again this month that I discovered the healing nature of pouring, sifiting, mixing, creating something beatiful out of a mess. I didn't realize that I needed this type of creative healing, but I did.
In November, I had a miscarriage. After 11 weeks of pregnancy, we lost our little one. It was a devastating loss and still brings tears to my eyes. I spent much of November through February struggling through the grief process. Through the support of my wonderful husband, family, friends, (and of course my therapist), I can say that I have been able to start moving forward. A part of that process is getting back to the things that I love to do and finding small ways to participate in creating something (even if it is a simple loaf of bread).
So...here are some of the healing things I have baked in this month of healing as both the world and I spring back to life...
1. Banana bread...we have had bananas in the freezer for the longest time, so I finally put them to use with my mother's yummy recipe and my fancy new pan from Williams-Sonoma!
Banana Bread:
|
3 ½ cup sifted flour
3 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking soda
2 cups mashed bananas
2 tblsp. Lemon juice
|
¾ cups shortening
1 ½ cups sugar
3 eggs
¾ cup milk
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
½ nuts (if desired) - I don't put nuts in anything I bake because William and I both agree that such aggregates in sweet breads are gross (unless they are gooey raisins in cinnamon raisin bread)
|
|
|
|
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking
soda.
Combine banana and lemon juice.
Cream together shortening and sugar in bowl. Add eggs and beat thoroughly until very light
and fluffy.
Add dry ingredients alternately with milk; fold in bananas
and nuts. Beat after each addition. Pour into 2 greased 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½ loaf
pans.
Bake in 350* oven for 1 hour or until tested in the center
and it comes out clean. Cool in pans 10
minutes. Remove from pans and cool until
totally cool.
Thanks Mom!!
2. Cupcake extravangaza...I helped to host a bridal shower and finally had a go at making cupcakes. I couldn't decide between the lemon and the chocolate, so I made both!
The chocolate recipe came from a Real Simple spread on baking and decorating cakes. I used a chocolate ganache frosting and topped with strawberries. The ganache is actually so much easier than it sounds; you just heat up cream (2 cups), drop in chopped dark chocolate (1 lb), add a pinch of salt, and stir until creamy (then let it sit for a few hours to thicken). There was even leftover ganache so Will and I had a little fruit and fondu party with it (so good!).
The lemon recipe is a little more involved that the chocolate, probably because it came from Martha Stewart and I think she makes everything more complicated. The cupcakes turned out perfect, so I guess I should not complain. The key is that you make a lemony syrup and drizzle it over the cupcakes just after you take them out of the oven...so warm and gooey...mmmmmmm..... Also, the reviews said to use a different icing than Martha suggested, so I just turned a regular vanilla icing recipe into lemon by substituting the vanilla for fresh lemon juice.
Here are the recipes:
Lemon cake: http://www.marthastewart.com/275613/lemon-cake-recipes/@center/276954/great-cake-recipes
Chocolate cake:
2 sticks unsalted butter (room temp)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa poweder
2 cups flour
1 tsp each of baking power, baking soda, and salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs (room temp)
1 1/2 cups whole milk (we didn't have any of this so I used half and half)
Heat oven to 350.
Mix dry ingredients (except sugar) together in a bowl and set aside.
With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy (medium high for a couple of minutes), beat in vanilla and then the eggs one at a time.
Reduce speed and beat in the flour mixture and the milk (alternating flour, milk, flour, milk, flour).
Pour into cupcake pan (lined or greased) and bake for about 20 minutes.
3. Bread baking class
So I did not actually bake the bread during this class, but I did learn some good tips for making delicious whole wheat sandwhich bread (sorry, Will and I gobbled it up before we took any pictures).
*Use lecithin. I always thought this was one of those dangerous additives, but you can get organic soy lecithin which isn't so bad. Plus, you only add a very small amount and it helps to keep the bread moist.
*Use a 50/50 mix of water and milk (or butter milk). Again, this is not necessary, but it helps with texture and moistness. I had been using just water.
*Use wheat gluten. I know that lots of people have difficulty digesting gluten, so you don't have to add this, but it improves the rise and texture of the bread, and you only need about a teaspoon per loaf.
The teacher also used butter, eggs, and honey (instead of sugar), all of which help with moisture and texture. I also learned that you need more moisture in the recipe if you are using 100% whole wheat. Most of my bread recipes have just been flour, salt, yeast, water, and olive oil, which explains that while the flavor has been good, the texture and moistness have not been stellar.
My plan for April is to play around with this recipe and see if I can make it my own. I want to try making it vegan (but not telling Will) and see if it is just as good.
After all of this, I have found that once again I am grateful for the simple act of baking, a small act that helps me feel more connected to others and to life.

1 comment:
Hmm...I never thought about the healing act of baking. Now that you mention it, though, I do seem to bake when I'm stressed or feeling blue. Thanks for the reminder.
If you ever want a HUGE challenge, try making something gluten free that tastes good and the texture is good. I haven't figured out how to accomplish both in one loaf. Thank goodness for Udi (my favorite brand of gf foods).
I love you Vicki.
Post a Comment