I don't know how many of you have ever had authentic, homemade tortillas, but you should go out of your way to try them.
I first had homemade tortillas on a church trip to Mexico, and then again on a church trip to San Marcos, Texas. In both instances, we were helping to build or repair houses, and in both instances, someone from the neighborhood took the time, energy, and resources to make us the best tortillas and refried beans I have ever had. It has been almost 14 years since I have tasted these tortillas, but the memories are fresh in my mind and still mouth-watering.
I eat a lot of tortillas...for lunches I like to make hummus and veggie wraps, or eat my tofurkey like a hotdog wrapped in a tortilla (I know it might sound gross, but will some pickles and dijon mustard it is awesome). However, I am always trying to find ways to eat more organic and less processed food. While I do buy the whole wheat versions of the processed tortillas from the grocery store, they are still processed. So, I was really excited when I found homemade tortillas of all different kinds and flavors (jalapeno, rosemary, beet, spinach, whole wheat) at the local, organic, farmers' market! I bought the jalapeno ones and they were so frickin' good. William enjoyed them as well...until he saw the price tag (about double what the grocery store version costs). He very quickly nixed my idea of buying these tortillas every week for my lunches. (I will probably still buy them, just not as often!)
All of this made me think...hey, why not try and make some of these tortillas myself. I found the following recipe on-line: http://123recipes.com/Recipe/Authentic-Mexican-Tortillas/Detail (okay...so I can't find the original link that I used, but this site had the same recipe)
I use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose and olive oil instead of shortening, and end up with...
They looked pretty good and didn't taste terrible, but were no where near the scrumptious taste I remembered. In fact, these were a little bit too bread-y. The good news is that it doesn't actually take too long to make them, and they can store in the fridge for a few days.
I am going to try again with a different recipe...I have found a few that used less oil that might be good. This link looks pretty good and has pictures for each step along the way...http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/03/homemade-tortillas/
The one thing to remember is that it is best to use a cast iron skillet for tortillas; it can get nice and hot and helps to make those fantastic little air bubbles in the tortillas.
Mmmmm...
I first had homemade tortillas on a church trip to Mexico, and then again on a church trip to San Marcos, Texas. In both instances, we were helping to build or repair houses, and in both instances, someone from the neighborhood took the time, energy, and resources to make us the best tortillas and refried beans I have ever had. It has been almost 14 years since I have tasted these tortillas, but the memories are fresh in my mind and still mouth-watering.
I eat a lot of tortillas...for lunches I like to make hummus and veggie wraps, or eat my tofurkey like a hotdog wrapped in a tortilla (I know it might sound gross, but will some pickles and dijon mustard it is awesome). However, I am always trying to find ways to eat more organic and less processed food. While I do buy the whole wheat versions of the processed tortillas from the grocery store, they are still processed. So, I was really excited when I found homemade tortillas of all different kinds and flavors (jalapeno, rosemary, beet, spinach, whole wheat) at the local, organic, farmers' market! I bought the jalapeno ones and they were so frickin' good. William enjoyed them as well...until he saw the price tag (about double what the grocery store version costs). He very quickly nixed my idea of buying these tortillas every week for my lunches. (I will probably still buy them, just not as often!)
All of this made me think...hey, why not try and make some of these tortillas myself. I found the following recipe on-line: http://123recipes.com/Recipe/Authentic-Mexican-Tortillas/Detail (okay...so I can't find the original link that I used, but this site had the same recipe)
I use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose and olive oil instead of shortening, and end up with...
They looked pretty good and didn't taste terrible, but were no where near the scrumptious taste I remembered. In fact, these were a little bit too bread-y. The good news is that it doesn't actually take too long to make them, and they can store in the fridge for a few days.
I am going to try again with a different recipe...I have found a few that used less oil that might be good. This link looks pretty good and has pictures for each step along the way...http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/03/homemade-tortillas/
The one thing to remember is that it is best to use a cast iron skillet for tortillas; it can get nice and hot and helps to make those fantastic little air bubbles in the tortillas.
Mmmmm...
No comments:
Post a Comment