Sunday, September 25, 2011

Avoidance

I hate grading. I don't know if all teachers hate grading, but I feel like I can't be alone here. I am not exactly sure what it is about grading that I hate, but I think some of it has to do with reading the same mistakes over and over. It also takes for ever. This semester I tried making rubrics to make the grading go a little faster, but I am still leaving just as many comments as without a rubric, so I am not sure that it is working.

The problem is worse when you have a ton to grade. It sort of snuck up on me this weekend, but I realized yesterday that I had to grade activity plans for all four classes, quizzes for three classes, and review discussion posts from our online class this week...in addition to preparing classes for the week and beginning my other full-time job.

So today instead of doing all of these things, I have cleaned the house, gone for a run, gone to church, read, taken a nap, and baked some biscuits. While I am learning to appreciate and participate in a weekly sabbath, I find myself wondering how in the world will I get everything done this week. And all too often, my method of dealing with feeling overwhelmed is to do other productive things and ignore the things that I really need to get done. (Note to my friends with children....I am amazed that you get anything done ever. I can't imagine working as hard as I know you do and taking care of young children. Way to be the most amazing people ever!)

I chose to bake biscuits today mainly because I am running out of ingredients to make other things...not enough bread flour, no eggs, no buttermilk, etc. However, I did have some heavy cream left over from a lasagna I a made last week, and I coincidentally came across a biscuit recipe that used heavy cream instead of shortening and buttermilk. Here is the recipe:

3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
(I didn't quite put enough in because I got distracted by the little packet in the salt to keep the salt fresh. Really...isn't salt itself used as a preservative. I really don't want that in my salt! So I took it out and then forgot to keep putting the salt in the mixture.)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1 cup heavy cream

Mix the dry ingredients. Using a fork, slowly mix in the cream to form a soft dough. Knead the dough a little bit on a floured surface. Roll or pat it out to be about 1/2 inch thick and cut into your desired biscuit size (around 2-3 inches). I don't have a biscuit cutter so I use a coffee mug. Bake for 15ish minutes at 400 degrees until golden brown (or however you like biscuits).

Although I have not tasted them yet, I think they have turned out better than the first time I made biscuits, judging only from looks. I even have one biscuit that looks almost perfect. I'll let you know what they tasted like!



1 comment:

Ashlie said...

These look delicious? Let me know if they taste as good as they look. :)

Sorry about the grading woes. I feel you. When I TAed I had to have a glass of wine on hand because it would be so maddening.

Post a Comment