Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Positive feedback

I think I have always been the kind of person who needs at least some positive affirmation on what I do, how I look, etc. I know that there is probably some psychoanalytic reason for that and it is all probably rooted to my perfectionism and people pleasing. However, the older I get (and perhaps the more busy / tired I get), the more I am learning to trust my own instincts in things. I am learning to be confident in who I am and only make apologies about my actions when they are destructive or hurtful, rather than my usual tendency to apologize for every little thing, even if I did not have control over it.

Nevertheless, I still enjoy a good pat on the back every once in a while. So it felt really good when my husband came home the other day to say that he received compliments on my baking efforts. The faculty in his department thoroughly enjoyed the blueberry muffins and zucchini bread (see below) that I made in the past couple of weeks. One woman confessed to William that she took two muffins for herself even though there were only 12 to go around. And the kicker...a man came up to William at the urinal in the men's bathroom to let him know that they were the best blueberry muffins he had ever had.

Although I am not sure that the blueberry muffins were that amazing, it made me smile to hear that someone like them enough to accost my husband in the bathroom.

Side note: I think that some of what makes the baked goods taste better is that they are freshly made with quality ingredients. I know, shocker, but we are finding that many people in Florence are very attached to their processed and packaged foods. Hopefully, if I do go into baking full-time this means that business will go well!!

This week / weekend I made use of the summer's bountiful zucchini and made some zucchini bread (from 1,000 vegetarian recipes) and oh so good zucchini chocolate chip cookies. This recipe comes from Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" which you should check out here: http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/. It is a great book and includes really yummy seasonal recipes. The best thing about the zucchini cookies is you don't need to feel as guilty eating them because they include whole wheat flour, zucchini, and dark chocolate chips - all of which are pretty good for you (at least in moderation).

And for your viewing pleasure...


Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment